Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Freecycle and SAD study

I've now been initiated into the Freecycle clan and I love it.

Freecycle is a brilliant, very simple system in which people get rid of their old stuff (or new stuff). They post about it, other people read about it, and SHAZAM. Free stuff.

I've used Craigslist in a similar way before, but that place is a feeding ground for crazies.

And for some reason, people on Freecycle are nicer. Go figure.

I joined about a week ago (I should have done it months ago!) so I could list some items I wanted to get rid of. While I was there, I perused the "Offers" section. A brand new cheese making kit! Whaaa? I immediately emailed the poster and she said that she had just promised it to another person. Just promised it? This isn't Craigslist behavior. I was already in love.

I didn't have any more luck (though I listed some items of my own) until two days ago. A very kind person had a huge bag of unopened all-natural litter. Just giving it away. I immediately replied and we set it up so I could get it the next morning.

She lives very close to me and so Jord and I trekked out around 8 am to pick it up. It was pretty nice outside and we picked it up and brought it home in under 30 minutes. And the bag was huge, and it was awesome.

As you already know, we make our own litter. It's not particularly fun at all. This was such a welcome change that I basically clicked my heels all the way home.

And speaking of clicking heels, I haven't really felt like doing that much lately. In fact, I've been pretty, well, down in the dumps. After talking it over with my husband and evaluating my behavior I decided to look into light therapy options. I know that I have SAD, but I've not really been in a funk like this before. The light therapy stuff seemed to be the best course of action.

After a quick Google search I stumbled upon a study that is offered by Brigham and Women's Hospital, a very reputable (and close) hospital that has been historically a part of the Harvard Medical area. It is essentially a 6 week study in which I will have a not-yet-on-the-market light therapy device from Philips in my home; I will also keep a diary of my wake/sleep times, wear an activity monitor and use the device at prescribed times.

I went in on Friday to meet with the doctor in charge of the study and I'm going back today to get a physical and to get some blood work done.

Honestly, I can't wait to have this thing. I've felt like a zombie for the past 6-8 weeks (even longer, really) and if this works, I'm going to be clicking my heels for realsies.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. I said aloud to Hope, "Katherine is such a good writer." Very fresh and crisp, like talking to you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm both flattered and happy that you both read my blog! I guess you know me well enough not to be weirded out my my weirdities.

    And speaking of talking, we all should skype sometime. Like a family skype.

    ReplyDelete